What is ChatGPT? This is the answer the chatbot gives us when we ask this question: «I am an AI language model developed by Open AI. I am trained to generate human-like text based on the input I receive and my goal is to respond answer to questions and provide helpful useful information.» OpenAI is an artificial intelligence research laboratory that seeks to promote and develop a «friendly» artificial intelligence that, simultaneously, contributes responsibly to humanity.
Undoubtedly, this chat has created great controversy within the tech world, bringing doubt about the future of developers and other professions that could be automated with it. However, many also present it as a tool that will facilitate software development. In this blog, we’ll walk you through how ChatGPT can be your ally and what it truly means for the future of development.
ChatGPT benefits for developers
This Artificial Intelligence model can be integrated into development projects through OpenAI’s API. This allows adding language functionalities and capability generation to apps and services that ultimately make them feel more human and intuitive to their users. We asked ChatGPT how it can help software developers in their daily activities and it assembled a list for us.
- Chatbots and conversational agents: developers can use AI to build chatbots that can address customer questions, provide product information, assists with tasks, etc.
- Content creation: ChatGPT can help with the generation of human-like text to describe products, create headlines, summaries, and more.
- Data analysis: extract insight and summarize large volumes of data, reviews and text.
- Translation: can easily help translate from one language to another.
However, we didn’t want to move forward and just stick with their perspective. Even though the tool claims not to write code or identify bugs, articles in Forbes explain that it could:
- Write code, although not infallible, as it usually has the occasional error. However, if the instructions are very simple and specific, it could provide it without errors.
- Find bugs when you ask it to do so.
- Generate simple app outlines but providing information about the data or the user interface features.
Will AI replace software developers?
For the moment: no. AI is Artificial Intelligence, and as much as it speaks similar to a human, it’s also very transparent about what it can’t do. When you enter the application, it specifies that:
- May occasionally generate incorrect information
- It could also produce harmful instructions or biased content
- Has limited knowledge of the world and post-2021 developments.
Their analytical skills are is inferior to those of a person, they can’t imagine application and solutions like a developer could. It also doesn’t have the necessary soft skills for the role that IT professionals fulfill. There’s no doubt about the fact that it is a great tool, but that’s all it is for now, and not a replacement for the abilities a team of developers can bring to the table.
Already using ChatGPT? To keep up to date on all the best tips for developers, don’t miss our blog posts!